ElectionsInfo.net     An Internet archive of election results and analysis

ElectionsInfo

United States

International

Search

   Argentina

CONTAINER INFORMATION

Abbreviation

ARG

Website

Argentina

Established

7/9/1816

Discontinued

 

Last Modified

4/23/2011


Institutions

Argentine Executive

Chamber of Deputies

Senate

State

Buenos Aires

Buenos Aires Capital Federal

Catamarca

Chaco

Chubut

Cordoba

Corrientes

Entre Rios

Formosa

Jujuy

La Pampa

La Rioja

Mendoza

Misiones

Neuquen

Rio Negro

Salta

San Juan

San Luis

Santa Cruz

Santa Fe

Santiago del Estero

Tierra del Fuego Antartida e Islas del Atlantico Sur

Tucuman

Justicialist Party


DESCRIPTION

Argentine Republic Republica Argentina A former Spanish dependency, Argentina is a Southern South American nation bordering the South Atlantic Ocean between Chile and Uruguay. It is the second largest country in South America following Brazil. Its people are over 97% white, of Spanish and Italian descent. The remaining 3% of the population is mestizo, Amerindian or other non-white groups. There is a strong Roman Catholic foothold in Argentina with 92% professing its creed. 2% are Jewish while another 2% are Protestant. While Spanish is the official language, English, Italian, German and French are also spoken throughout the country. With its capital in Buenos Aires, the Argentine Republic is comprised of 23 provinces including claims to Antarctica, which the United States does not recognize. American influences are found in the republican government of Argentina. A popularly elected President and Vice President lead the nation as Head of State and Chief of Government concurrently. Legislation is the jurisdiction of the bicameral Congress or Congreso Nacional, consisting of the Chamber of Deputies and Senate. Following independence from Spain in 1816, Argentina experienced periods of internal political conflict between conservatives and liberals and between civilian and military factions. After World War II, a long period of Peronist authoritarian rule and interference in subsequent governments was followed by a military junta that took power in 1976. Democracy returned in 1983, and numerous elections since then have underscored Argentina's progress in democratic consolidation. National Flag Description: In May 1810 the pro-independence movement initiated the use of the blue and white cockade. It was decreed the national cockade on February 18, 1812 and nine days lated a flag of these colors was adopted. The blue and white sybolize the clear skies and snow of the Andes. The sun, added in 1818 is the Sol de May "May Sun", the national symbol of Argentina. It commemorated the appearance of the sun in cludy skies on May 25, 1810, when the first mass demonstration in favor of independence took place. Religious Adherents http://www.thearda.com/internationalData/countries/Country_11_2.asp Christian 92.1% Non-religious 3.0% Muslim 1.9% Jewish 1.3% Atheist 0.9% Neo-religions 0.3% Ethnoreligionist 0.2% Spiritist 0.2% Buddhist 0.1%


INFO LINKS

Argentine President

Argentine Chamber of Deputies

Argentine Senate

Argentine President of the Cabinet of Ministers

Argentine Ministry of Defense

Argentine Ministry of External Relations

Permanent Mission of Argentina to the United Nations


MAP

 


MEDIA

NEWS

Date

Category

Headline

Contributor

11/1/2012 10:50 am

News

Argentina drops its voter age to 16

IndyGeorgia

5/9/2012 12:00 am

Legal Ruling

Argentina Approves Transgender Rights Legislation, Makes Sex-Change Surgery A Legal Right

Incurious Mongrul

8/24/2010 9:00 pm

News

Argentina Moves to Seize Newsprint Firm

Patrick

1/28/2010 6:00 pm

General

Argentine president: Eat pork, spice your sex life

kal

10/16/2007 4:00 pm

News

Argentines 'auction' votes online

Patrick

8/8/2006 3:00 pm

News

Falkland Islands dispute heats up

The Oncoming Storm

11/4/2005 12:00 pm

Event

Thousands Turn Out to Protest Bush Visit

RP

3/17/2004 12:00 am

General

Evita's burial shroud expected to raise 40,000 euros Thursday

Nothing wrong, just gone


All information on this site is © ElectionsInfo.net and should not be used without attribution.