April 1, 2023
Detroit Gang Member Sent to Prison for Two Murders as Part of Racketeering Conspiracy
Detroit Gang Member Sent to Prison for Two Murders as Part of Racketeering ConspiracyDETROIT – A former Detroit resident was sentenced to 25 years in prison for murdering...

DETROIT – A former Detroit resident was sentenced to 25 years in prison for murdering a rival gang member and an innocent 13-year-old bystander as part of a racketeering conspiracy, United States Attorney Dawn N. Ison announced today.

Ison was joined in the announcement by Special Agent in Charge James A. Tarasca, Federal Bureau of Investigation, Detroit Division. Carlo Wilson, aka “Los,” age 29, received the sentence from the United States District Judge Mark A. Goldsmith.

At his guilty plea, Wilson admitted to being a member of the “6 Mile Chedda Grove” gang, which is a street gang that operated on the eastside of Detroit. 6 Mile Chedda Grove was a violent organization responsible for murders, assaults, robberies, and narcotics trafficking in the Detroit metropolitan area and in other states. The gang used violence to retaliate against rivals and to advance members’ positions within the gang.

As a part of his plea, Wilson admitted to participating in the 2015 murder of a rival gang member and an innocent bystander. According to plea documents, Wilson was with another gang member, Edwin Mills, when they saw the rival in a car outside of a market on the eastside of Detroit. Wilson and Mills killed the rival gang member and an innocent bystander when they fired multiple shots at the vehicle. Wilson and Mills also seriously injured two children who had been sitting on the hood of the car driven by the rival gang member.  Mills also pled guilty and is currently awaiting sentencing in the case.  

“Today’s sentence is a stark reminder of how gun violence devastates our community and is robbing innocent children of their future.  It also serves as a warning to those who use guns to commit violence: I will use every resource of the federal government to seek justice for all of the people in this district,” U.S. Attorney Ison said.

“We are extremely proud of the outstanding work done by our Violent Gang Task Force, which is committed to countering violent crime, illegal drugs, and organized criminal activity in our communities by investigating gang members like Mr. Wilson, ”said James A. Tarasca, Special Agent in Charge of the FBI’s Detroit Field Office.  “The continued success and impact of this Task Force is persuasive evidence of how interagency collaboration results in tangible public safety benefits to the citizens who live in the Detroit metropolitan area.”

The case was investigated by special agents of the Federal Bureau of Investigation and prosecuted by Assistant U.S. Attorneys Robert Moran and Andrew R. Picek.

Originally published at https://www.fbi.gov/contact-us/field-offices/detroit/news/detroit-gang-member-sent-to-prison-for-two-murders-as-part-of-racketeering-conspiracy

originally published at HUMAN RIGHTS - USA DAILY NEWS 24